Job Title: Social Worker/Group Facilitator
Posting Date: April 5, 2018
The Brain Injury Society of Toronto (BIST) is a community non-profit supporting those living with the effects of acquired brain injury.
Our mission is to enhance the quality of life for people in the City of Toronto, living with the effects of acquired brain injury through education, awareness, support and advocacy.
This is a part time Social Worker position with a total of 7 hours per month, facilitating the following groups:
Young Adult Support Group
This Group supports young adults with brain injuries between the ages of 17-29 and takes place on the third Wednesday of every month. This group is co-facilitated with a BIST staff member and requires you to be present from 6:00 – 8:30pm.
ABI Support Group
This group supports adults 29 years and older with acquired brain injuries. It takes place on the first Tuesday of every month. This group is co-facilitated with a BIST staff member and requires you to be present from 6:00 – 8:30pm
Women’s Support Group
This group will be starting in September 2018 with the goal of supporting women who have experienced an acquired brain injury. Dates and times of this group is to be determined.
All the above groups meet at BIST’s Head Office:
40 St. Clair Avenue East
Toronto, ON M4T 1M9
Start Date and Hourly Rate:
This position will begin in May 2018 with 5 hours per month co-facilitating the Young Adult Support Group and ABI Support Group. It will grow to 7 hours, with the addition of the Women’s Support Group in September 2018. The position pays $40/hour.
- Registered Social Worker with a Bachelor or Masters of Social Work Degree, or a Degree in Counselling Psychology.
- Experience with new group creation, facilitation and delivery.
- At least 3 years experience facilitating and/or co-facilitating psycho-educational and skills based support groups.
- At least 3 years experience in counselling with proven ability in the application of DBT, CBT, Solution Focused therapy and Crisis Intervention in a group setting.
- Knowledge of GTA community resources for individuals with ABI/TBI, Concussions and PTSD an asset
- Knowledge of best practises and GTA resources for with women who have experienced domestic, physical and sexual assault.
- Excellent verbal communication and active listening skills.
- Self-motivated individual with strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds and ages.
- Project a positive, friendly and professional attitude
- Constant ability to learn and to respond constructively to change and stressful situations.
- At least 3 years experience with and/or post graduate training in the symptoms and challenges associated with ABI/TBI, Concussions and PTSD recovery.
Application Deadline: April 16, 2018 by 4:30 pm
Send a resume and cover letter to the attention of: Melissa Vigar, Executive Director
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put in subject line: Social Worker/Group Facilitator position
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in the position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.